See it in action. Take a tour.
Arts + Public Life is leading an ambitious redevelopment project on Chicago’s South Side. Spearheaded by the vision of internationally renowned artist and urban planner Theaster Gates, the Arts Block is a planned cultural corridor on Garfield Boulevard in Washington Park. The guided tour of the Arts Block includes a walking tour of completed, activated spaces of the redevelopment project’s first phase—the Arts Incubator, the Currency Exchange Café, BING Reading Room, and The Muffler Shop—and the sites preparing for redevelopment— the pavilion and green space, and the Green Line Arts Center. Visitors will also receive a brief history of Washington Park and the properties on the 300 block of Garfield Boulevard along with an introduction to Ethical Redevelopment, a process and set of values about spatial politics and governance that guides the creation of the Arts Block. Tour groups will have the opportunity to meet with a member of the Place Lab team to learn about various projects led by Gates and his teams, and discuss the work being undertaken all across Chicago's South Side.
Schedule a Tour
- Please sign-up on our Tour Page.
- Tours are hosted the final Friday of every month, from 1–3pm, unless otherwise noted. Tours are not scheduled on national or University of Chicago holidays.
- Tours take approximately two hours.
- Tours require a minimum of one individual, and can accommodate a maximum of 30 individuals.
- All locations on the tour are handicap accessible.
- We will do our best to accommodate your preferred first choice tour date.