On June 2-5, 2016, we hope you will join us as UChicago Alumni from all areas of the University come together to celebrate the arts and explore UChicago’s creative side with over 100 arts-focused events. Alumni Weekend 2016 programming will focus around the strong tradition of cross-disciplinary art initiatives and programs which enhance the University landscape and foster the dynamic arts community of Chicago’s South Side. We hope to attract alumni who participated in the arts while at the University (either in their course work or in student groups), alumni that are currently working in the arts, and other alumni who have an appreciation of the arts today.
University of Chicago departments, student organizations, and professional and presenting arts organizations are invited to propose events, exhibitions, and/or performances to be highlighted as part of the arts celebration during Alumni Weekend 2016. Whether planning a series of events for alumni from your academic program, a performance including current students and alumni, an artist talk, or a networking event for creative professionals, we hope you will consider planning event(s) that will attract alumni who are passionate about the arts to join us at Alumni Weekend in June 2016.
Supplemental Funding Requests
In addition, while not every proposed program or event will need additional funding, supplemental funding for programming will be provided by Alumni Relations and Development and UChicago Arts. To request funding for Alumni Weekend 2016 programming, please download the Alumni Weekend 2016 Program Funding Application and submit via email to email@example.com. All applications submitted by midnight on November 1, 2015 will receive first consideration. We welcome proposals submitted after November 1; however, funding opportunities may be more limited at that time.
Program and Event Proposals
If you are interested in planning an arts program or event for alumni weekend, please download the Alumni Weekend 2016 Arts Program and Event Submission Form and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to schedule events in such a way as to limit overlap and encourage alumni to attend as many related programs as possible. When submitting a form, please indicate your preferred event date, time, and location. All Program and Event Submission Forms received by midnight on November 30, 2015 will receive first consideration for preferred time and location. We welcome proposals submitted after November 30; however there will be less flexibility in scheduling and room location after that date.
For questions regarding Alumni Weekend 2016 arts related programming or funding, please email email@example.com.
UnCommon Core Session Proposals
Art as a central theme will extend to the UnCommon Core program and we encourage our partners to select faculty/research/discussions with an interdisciplinary Art theme. “Arts” can be applied very broadly; e.g. “The Economics of Arts in the 21st century,” so we can continue to represent the depth and breadth of the University.
Alumni Weekend 2016 will offer several UnCommon Core formats for our campus partners to showcase faculty:
- The “classic” format features faculty, or a panel of faculty, with 45 minutes to present their research and 15 minutes for Q&A with alumni.
- The short session: This option allows faculty 20 minutes to lecture, followed by 10 minutes for alumni to ask questions.
- A seminar/discussion opportunity: This hour-long session will include advance reading(s) and provide an interactive experience between faculty, or a panel of faculty, and alumni.
UnCommon Core sessions are scheduled to take place at Max Palevsky Cinema and will no longer compete against each other but will instead occur as separate events. Below is the full list of dates and available time slots:
Thu, Jun 2, 2016:
- 1pm-2pm: Classic (Faculty lecture or panel and 15 minute Q&A)
- 2pm-2:30pm: Arts Showcase (Music, Exhibit, etc.)
- 2:30pm-3pm: Short Session (20 min. lecture and 10 minute Q&A)
- 3pm-3:30pm: Arts Showcase (Music, Exhibit, etc.)
- 3:30pm-4:30pm: Seminar/Discussion (readings provided in advance)
Fri, Jun 3, 2016:
- 10am-11am: Classic
- 11am-11:30pm: Arts Showcase (Music, Exhibit, etc.)
- 11:30am-12pm: Short Session
- 12pm-2pm: Lunch break – Hyde Park restaurants, Hyde Park Art Fair on 57th Street
- 2pm-2:30pm: Short Session
- 2:30pm-3pm: Arts Showcase (Music, Exhibit, etc.)
- 3pm-4pm: Classic
Sat, Jun 4, 2016:
- 11am-11:30am: Short Session
- 11:30am-1:30pm: Lunch break – Alumni & Friends Festival and Picnic, Main Quad
- 1:30pm-2pm: Short Session
- 2pm-2:30pm: Art Break (Music, Exhibit, etc.)
- 2:30pm-3:30pm: Seminar/Discussion with virtual participation
Please submit your interest in an UnCommon Core program via the Alumni Weekend 2016 Arts Program and Event Submission Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 7, 2015 for priority consideration.
Within the “Brief Description of Organization” box, please indicate date and time preference as well as the preferred UnCommon Core format.
2016 Alumni Weekend
Thu, Jun 2–Sun, Jun 5, 2016